The Old Fashioned is probably as traditional a mixed drink you can get, dating back to the days of the prohibition it is supposedly the first drink that was referred to as a ‘cocktail’.
I have had many variants of this over the years and have made it with a variety of Whiskeys, Bourbons & Rye’s. It is a beautifully warming drink and as long as the quality of the spirit is good, it is incredibly smooth – it almost goes down too easily!
What do I need to make a good Old Fashioned?
- A good quality Amercan Whiskey – I like to use Woodford Reserve, although for this one we used a good Rittenhouse Rye
- Angostura & Orange Bitters
- Large Ice cubes or ideally Large Spherical Ice
- Bar Spoon
- Maple Syrup
- Orange & Lemon Rind
- A good Whiskey Tumbler
- Spirit Measure
How do I make it?
- Add a large measure of Whiskey to your frozen Whisky Tumbler
- Add 3 dashes of Aromatic Bitters
- Add 3 dashes of Orange Bitters
- Add 1 barspoon of Maple Syrup and stir
- Place your ice cube in the glass and stir to really cool the drink down
- Spritz the orange and lemon peel over the glass and place in the drink