This recipe for Herby Paprika Chicken is a really delicious way to use up any spare bits of chicken you may have in your fridge or freezer. It is another very versatile recipe and is great with either thighs or breasts.
It is influenced by many of the flavours of the Middle East and is lightly spiced to create a really flavoursome, comforting dish.
The great thing about this Herby Paprika & Chilli Chicken is just how simple it is to make. It is one of those dishes where the finished result is surprisingly tasty when you consider how few ingredients have gone into making it!
It’s all about the herbs…
The really fresh flavour in this dish comes from the 3 different herbs – Parsley, Coriander & Tarragon that are generously added – make sure they are added at the last minute for maximum flavour!
Why should I make this?
- Really easy with only a few ingredients needed to pull this off
- Simple technique, basically a one pot dish, bang all the ingredients in a pan and allow the flavours to infuse over a couple of hours
- Lightly spiced which means that the kids should love this! (probably)
- Very healthy! Low in carbs, high in nutrients and a good balance of protein and healthy fats
How do I make this dish?
- Fry the chicken pieces in a good glug of olive oil until browned.
- Add the sliced onions, chopped tomatoes, bay leaves & paprika and continue to fry on the hob
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, sliced chillies and a generous pinch of salt & pepper and continue to cook on a low heat for around 2 hours. Add water occasionally so as not to dry out too much.
- Over the cooking period the sauce should really thicken and intensify in flavour.
- Once cooked, add the chopped tarragon, parsley and coriander to the pan and stir into the sauce.
- Served up with a sweet potato gratin and some homemade pitta breads.
If you like this dish why not try out the following dishes from Canny Kitchen:
Herby Paprika & Chilli Chicken
- 1 glug Olive Oil
- 4 single Chicken Breasts (or thighs)
- 2 large Onions sliced
- 6 large Ripe Tomatoes chopped
- 3 tsps Paprika not smoked
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 single Red Chillies sliced in half
- 1 pinch Salt & Pepper
- 4 single Bay Leaves
- 1 bunch Fresh Tarragon chopped
- 1 bunch Fresh Parsley (flat) chopped
- 1 bunch Fresh Coriander chopped
- Fry the chicken in the olive oil until browned
- Add the sliced onions, tomatoes, paprika and continue to fry
- Add the garlic, bay leaves and chillies and allow to cook on a low/medium heat for around 2 hours – regularly top up with water if the sauce is getting too dry
- Season generously towards the end and then add the fresh herbs just before serving and stir into the thick sauce
- Serve up with a sweet potato gratin and fresh homemade pitta breads – Enjoy!